Andrew focuses his practice in the areas of individual and business litigation, estate planning, business formation and dissolution, guardianships (minor and disabled adult), real estate (agriculture, commercial and residential), 1031 exchanges, and associates (homeowners and condominium).
Mr. Smith began his legal career in estate planning and civil litigation and subsequently transferred the extensive knowledge he acquired into a successful practice litigating contested estate and trust matters. His area of practice at CES LAW encompasses all aspects of estate and trust litigation including breach of fiduciary duty issues, judicial interpretation of wills and trusts, will contests, and trust disputes.
Mr. Smith’s professional activities include membership in the Kane County Bar Association and Illinois State Bar Association. He also serves on the Boards of the Aurora Public Library and CASA Kendall County.
Mr. Smith earned his B.S. in Marketing from Indiana Wesleyan University, and earned both his M.B.A. and Juris Doctor, with honors, from Valparaiso University. He is admitted to the State of Illinois and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, and the U.S. Tax Court.
Mr. Smith represents individuals, trustees, executors, administrators, farmers, investors, developers, homeowners associations, businesses, banks and trust companies throughout the Chicagoland area.
- Successfully defended corporate trustee against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty in DuPage County.
- Successfully settled, after a five day jury trial, an action for undue influence brought by two heirs in Cook County.
- Successfully defended trustee against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty in Kendall County.
- Successfully settled, after a 6 day bench trial, a case under the Uniform Commercial Code against two banks in Kendall County.
- Successfully reduced a taxpayer’s liability from over $70,000 to the IRS owing the taxpayer a refund with interest.
- Successfully defended estate in foreclosure and secured replacement financing for over $16 million in Kane County.
- Successfully defended tenant under the Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009 and secured a settlement on the tenant’s behalf in Will County.
- Successfully settled a contested trust dispute on behalf of 5 beneficiaries in Kane County.